Especially in India, we come across a variety of hair textures, type and structure. Coarse, fine, thin, wavy, straight, frizzed, coiled and many more. Being a model and working with many hair care brands and hairstylists, I have learnt a bit about hair care too. Every hair type is unique and it can become a real struggle to find the ideal hair care for your specific needs.
I have faced the problems too and it took years of trial and errors, and a whole lot of hair loss, and much experimentation with my precious hair, to find a few products which work wonderfully for me. Given the hectic schedule and the variety of treatments my hair goes through for every shooting, I naturally gravitate towards gentle but nourishing products to strike the balance.
Keeping aside my profession, in general, I have noticed a shift towards gentler formulations in recent years as users become more aware of the adverse effects certain ingredients have in the long run. Time and again, I also get questions about my hair care secrets and there is only one simple piece of advice I have for all of you – choose a mild shampoo and keep the roots clean.
There are many different biotin rich shampoos as well which replenish the lost nutrition, making it stronger and neutralizing the damaging effects of styling and chemical treatments.
Here I have listed some of my tried and tested favourite mild shampoos to help you choose the best.
I came across this brand recently and it has promptly made it to the firt position on my list because of the international standards you get from a rather affordable range. This Japanese shampoo is formulated in traditional Japanese methods but composed ideally for Indian hair types, with Hawaiian Hibiscus being a primary ingredient. I also spoke to their skincare advisor, who told me about the many benefits of this product, and how they had tested the product on over 250 women and men across India. Some benefits I have found on my hair are:
- It is a keratin and biotin rich shampoo that is packed with many essential oils and vitamins too.
- Vitamin E, Sweet Almond Oil, aloe vera extract, cedarwood essential oil and argan oil are all notable ingredients that make this shampoo extremely nourishing and moisturizing.
- The shampoo is a natural formula that uses a coconut oil-derived cleanser that lathers well but does not have any side effects.
- It is 100% sulphate and paraben-free formula. None are mentioned in the ingredients list
The Vitamin B3 shampoo is reasonably priced at INR 695 and available from Amazon and their official website, https://www.hadasecrets.com/.
Another shampoo from Hada Secrets Japan, the Jamaican Coffee Shampoo is as mild as the Hibiscus one. This one is specifically designed to boost hair follicles and promote hair growth. I have also tried this on my hair. It’s a little more invigorating for the scalp and has an amazing fragrance! You come out of the shower so fresh and ready-to-go. Some benefits I could notice are
- It is a keratin-infused formula as well as biotin rich that works wonderfully for all hair types, including chemically treated and styled hair.
- Even though it is a natural formulation, free of sulphate and parabens it forms a rich lather and a little amount of the shampoo, which goes a long way. It is also not tested on animals.
- The shampoo is blended with many other noteworthy ingredients like cedarwood essential oil, Almond oil, Niacinamide, and Citric acid that are naturally extracted.
- This is also priced at INR 695 and available on Amazon and their official website.
ALSO READ – How to Improve Women’s Hair Quality in 2021?
There are no drawbacks that I can point out for this mild shampoo, except for their limited availability. I couldn’t find them at a store.
A very consistent, trusted and old brand available in India, the Himalaya Herbals have several shampoos and other products known for being mild and gentle. The Gentle Protein Shampoo is widely popular for this reason too.
- The shampoo is enriched with plant proteins derived from Chickpeas, Amla and Licorice.
- It is a mild formulation that can be used daily and ideal for those who lead a very active life and spent a lot of times outdoors.
- Strengthening the hair roots, promoting hair growth and making it overall manageable and soft are some of the benefits you get from this shampoo.
- It is readily available at any drugstore and also priced very reasonably at INR 220 approx for 400ml.
However, if you like a good amount of foam and lather from your shampoo, this can be disappointing as it does not lather too much. Moreover, you will need a liberal amount of shampoo to get the desired results. Lastly, shampoo can make your hair dry to some extent. This product was one of my favourites before I switched to Hada Secrets Japan, a few months back.
Aloe Veda is an upcoming herbal cosmetics company and known for its skincare and haircare ranges specifically. The Aloe Veda Mild Nourishing Shampoo is ideal for daily users.
- The shampoo is enriched with Aloe vera which is an active ingredient.
- The formula is extremely gentle but lathers well and do not contain parabens or tested on animals.
- You need very little product to get the desired result.
- If your scalp and hair are oily, this is an excellent shampoo to try out.
- The fragrance is very mild and pleasant and does not feel artificial.
The price is quite reasonable for this shampoo, and it comes in 200ml bottles. It is available readily but I must mention, the packaging can be improved. It is rather flimsy and not very travel-friendly. Moreover, if you have dry hair, you can skip this product. I have used this product for almost 3 months (around 3 bottles). I must also mention that all herbal, natural, Ayurveda products get very drying for the hair.
We generally go for such products thinking they will be mild, but instead their soap bases are quite harsh. Your experience might be different than mine, but this is a definitive thing I have experienced.
My last pick is from the UK-based brand Herbal Essence which had been introduced in India a couple of years back. Their Bio: Renew Argan Oil of Morocco shampoo is one of the mildest formulations they have.
- The shampoo is free of parabens and SLS and recognized by PETA for being cruelty-free.
- The active ingredient is argan oil that makes the hair softer, nourished and hydrated.
- It also contains antioxidants and Vitamin E which repairs any damage and strengthen the hair.
- The price is reasonable and it is available on Amazon and other online stores.
However, it does not have any anti-fungal benefits which mean, you will need another secondary shampoo if your scalp sweats or you have dandruff problems which often aggravates fungal diseases too.
As a model I have to get variety of stuff into the hair, like shiners and glitter and even flower dust, so I am sometimes susceptible to minor fungal issues.
These are my take on the best mild shampoos that you can find in India. A shampoo that is free of parabens, SLS, colourants and contains natural ingredients can qualify as a mild shampoo.
I would suggest that you must read about its ingredients – cleansing base (go for coconut-based cleansers; go for shampoos that have Vitamins, and other natural ingredients; look for hair care ingredients like biotin, keratin, etc also, before making a purchase.
So, keeping this in mind, you can easily search for the perfect product for your hair type.